CGSpace partners meeting
Wageningen
20 and 21 November 2014




Scope

Annual meeting of CGspace partners, administrators, technical supporters, champions. Meeting to review progress and pitfalls, set directions, do some peer to peer training and learning, get perhaps some advanced atmire inputs. Covering everything from governance and finance, content management, standards and quality control to github and rest API (at least) ..

blogpost from Bram

Objectives


1. review progress (partnership, content, technical)
2. set priorities and directions for 2015 and beyond
3. update technical skills
4. update content management skills


Technical Issues and Actions


Item
Understanding of Issue
Effort/Solution
Timing
Critical Aspects
Related to Dspace Version
Responsible
Languages
Having a multilingual interfaces, limited to Spanish, French, English, German. Submission of Bilingual content (select multiple languages)
Translate component strings (menu items, main functional submission items) in the messages files. Configure XMLUI to turn on multi-lingual. Community collaboration on validate and translate.
June, 2015
Requires coordination of native speaker translators. Review translations. Enabling multiselect for item submission.
Dspace 4
Peter B.
Alerts
Users want alerts when items are published regarding a CRP.
Use Open Search to create a criteria-based feed.
Dec, 2014
Central techies must create the feed urls and give to feedburner. Must be turned on in CGSpace

Alan
Dspace 4
Upgrade to Dspace 4
Upgrade process
Dec, 2014
QA/Testing required, downtime required (evening of a weekend). Need inputs and testing in CGSpaceTest.
Dspace 4
Alan and Bram
Dspace 5
Upgrade to Dspace 5
Upgrade process
June, 2015
Have 3 environments; PROD, TEST, DEV
Dspace 5
Alan and Bram
CMS Modules (WP)
Need to represent Dspace content in CMS
Finding functionalities and APIs to consume from Dspace content
Now and to one year
CMS developers know the interfaces to the data and how to extract, and best consume/store. Needs developer communities based on platform to build the modules. Requires collaboration with central techie team. Needs Yammer groups. Will benefit from new rest APIs in dspace 4. Hackathon with CTA on DSpace modules and integrations.
Dspace 4



Build strong links with developers?

Hackathon?




ORCID
Understand how using an ORCID ID for all CGIAR Research Staff, to connect researchers to research. Also, internal benefit is more consistent and quality metadata for contributors
This is a much larger issue, beyond CGSpace. We cannot provide a formal implementation plan until further study and scope have been defined.
Can be June, 2015
What is the ORCID ID strategy, eg. Can we understand from IFPRI the cost/benefit of uptake/investment. Assumptions … adoption … researcher reactions … utility in the broader aspects beyond dspace
Dspace 5
Michael and Ryan, Megan
LOD
Support of LOD. So Dspace Content can be exposed as RDF. Eventually use Dspace as a full Semantic Web Applications. Leading to automatic classification of items.
Identify all use cases and prioritizing, submission process, authority control, displaying content related/connected to items.
For exposing, June, 2015. For other efforts, Analysis 2015, implementation 2016
Validation of proper exposure in RDF, using SPARKL endpoints.
Dspace 5
Peter B., Imma, Medha, Michael
Sherpa/Romeo
Used to allow submitters to see the policies of the publishers.
None
June, 2015
Switch it on (configured); items require ISSN.
Dspace 5
Maria, Alan, Bram
CGIAR Library
Reviewing the benefits of moving the CGIAR Library to CGSpace. Benefit from support, infrastructure, and community.
Consultation with the Fund and CO.
Once a decision is made
Political aspects, budgets other non-public info. Regardless of full integration in CGSpace, the Library should "join" CGSpace as a community member. Light (not tight) integration, which requires Metadata alignment.
None
Michael, Medha
Harvesting/Linking/Aggregating
OAI-PMH is very dependent on exact mappings of vocabularies, complications exist due to contents. It is constrained at the collection level.



No
OA TaskForce?
Training/CapDev
Extending administration of CGSpace to partner insitution techies/IT for support and community participation. IT groups are overstretched, and don't see this as their responsibilty. Regional Dspace support
Requires further analysis of scenarios, and current commitment jof the institutions to CGSpace/Dspace.

Management governance must drive or provide for for regional support. This requires time/cost analysis/budget/commitment.
No

CGSpace Tech COP
Extend the tech support 'team'
Mobilize other people – eg Carlos Saa (CIAT), CIFOR, IWMI, CIMMYT



Peter, partners
relations @tmire collaborations
How to coordinate services, support, training,




Peter, Alan, @mire

Content Issues and Actions


The conversation generated a mix of actions and principles/guidelines

Principles
1: Each community to achieve internal consistency in style - author names, citations etc
2: Always enter ISBN and ISSN where they exist
3: When uploading an author version article, include a note and some text in the actual manuscript
4. Recommend to have naming conventions for bitstream files. Keep them short,
5: Collection and community names must have ‘centre’ or ‘crp’ at the beginning
6. Centres/Producers deposit new content and these are mapped to CRPs


Actions
1. Author names and citation styles: challenges mainly from legacy data and different usage across centres/CRPs.
Action 1: Adopt ORCID as a long term strategy across CGIAR. This is bigger than CGSpace. Make sure to have ORCID functionality in CGSpace. Shuld be part of DSpace version 5.

2. Issues with Accents - for searching?
Action 2: Technical team to test and configure. FINAL QUARTER 2014

3. AGROVOC descriptors.
Action 3: Follow up with FAO to implement as authority files/web services. This would also provide for multi-lingual indexing. For now, we continue manual entries in multiple languages. FIRST QUARTER 2015

4. Editing existing items: Can we reduce human errors?
Action 4: Investigate Atmire module (EUR 9000). FIRST QUARTER 2015.

5. Submission templates
Action 5: Tech team to implement HTML in text fields. FIRST QUARTER 2015
Action 6: add a new dropdown field to characterize item authorship to allow reporting, eg: by ‘CG Center only’, ‘with NARS’; ‘Developing country’, ‘advanced research institute’. FINAL QUARTER 2014
Action 7: Standardize existing templates. FINAL QUARTER 2014
Action 8: Each community admin to review and specific which field they do not want. FIRST QUARTER 2015

6. CGSpace manual
Action 9: ILRI to compile based on existing CCAFS and CIAT versions. FIRST QUARTER 2015

7. Look and feel/interface.
Action 10: For a small group to Review and update Item level presentations, landing pages, search results. FIRST QUARTER 2015.

8. CG-core metadata
Action 11: Adopt as soon as this is final

9. Collection policy
Action 12: Each community to set out what its scope/coverage is. FIRST QUARTER 2015.


Management Issues and Actions


CTA suggested to develop an advocacy brief that can be used to document and draw lessons from the CGSpace project (2015)

CTA is keen to explore how this approach could be built upon/adapted/expanded at Natonal/regional level

Conclusion: Continue managing CGSpace as a collaborative 'coalition of the willing'. Adopt a more 'project-management' focus with regular updates.

Conclusion: Continue managing CSpace as a cost- and expertise-sharing project

Suggestion: include a budget for 'promotion' within the global project



'Our CGSpace dreams'


As part of the introductions we asked participants to write down a CGSpace dream...

Interface in 100 languages
Use CGspace as my OAI – PMH base URL provider + liked open data
CRP alert function, Wordpress module functioning, process to regularly collect from partner centers
CGIAR research outputs fully inter-operable
User interfaces are simple and facilitate contribution
A cloud-based , managed, hosted solution
Making CGSpace top on the planet in terms of usability
Hash tag taxonomies (social tagging on CGSpace)
Join CGSpace
Offline version
Open Access publishing compliance – linkage to SHERPA/ROMEO, self-archiving, embargo functionality
Publishing tools – customizable forms, integrated peer-review tools, Wordpress interface, decentralized workflows, high stats and detailed analytics, linking with OCLC
National Library of Agriculture
Full and seamless integration with Google analytics, click through from website, detailed user analytics
Refine search results (eg. by country, center, CRP ++)
Expose content as LOD (evaluate linkages of data, other types of outputs)
Linking with DOI?
Increase the use ... more/right eyeballs

End of day 1 - Insights


what excites people; what's coming up?

ORCID - people and authors authority file
Getting cool; needs to be cooler (UI)
Metrics- looking exciting and we can do more
Linked open data
User profiles (?)
backend stats and reporting
getting easier to embed content out
customized submission templates
Sherpa/Romeo integration
Version 5
Potential for collaboration and reach beyond the cgiar
the scale of the content is offering much scope to build apps etc around


Agenda


Thursday
0830 Welcomes and Introductions

0900 CGSpace 101 - update and introduction to the platform for beginners/newcomers

Abenet - presentation


0900 Platform 101 - update on technical changes and updates for (very) technical people

1030 Coffee break

1100 CGSpace report on progress

Peter - presentation


Alan - presentation


1230 Lunch

1400 DSpace - state of the art, upcoming developments ....
Bram - presentation

1530 Break

1600 CGIAR open access / repository update; where are we now, where going ... (Devha and Michael M)

1730 End
1900 Dinner together in the hotel


Friday
0830 Recap day 1 / plans day 2
0900 Managing content - workflows, quality control, standards, ... priorities
0900 Managing the platform - workflows, quality control, standards, ... priorities
1030 Coffee break
1100 Priority actions for 2015 - content/technology/cg-wide efforts
1230 Lunch
1400 Managing and governing CGSpace
1530 Break
1600 Synthesis, summary, actions
1730 End


Logistics


Venue: Hof van Wageningen (http://www.hofvanwageningen.nl/)




Participants


No
Name
Arrival date
Departure date
e-mail
Center
1
Peter Ballantyne
19
21
p.ballantyne@cgiar.org
ILRI
2
Ryan Miller
19
22
R.Miller@cgiar.org
IFPRI
3
Maria Garruccio
19
22
m.garruccio@cgiar.org
Bioversity
4
Bram Luyten
19
22
bluyten@gmail.com
Atmire
5
Megan Zandstra
20
22
meganzandstra@me.com
CIAT
6
Sufiet Erlita
19
22
S.Erlita@cgiar.org
CIFOR
7
Vanessa Meadu
19
21
V.MEADU@CGIAR.ORG
CCAFS
8
Chandima Gunadasa
19
21
C.GUNADASA@CGIAR.ORG
IWMI
9
Sisay Webshet
19
22
S.WEBSHET@CGIAR.ORG
ILRI
10
Abenet Yabowork
19
22
a.yabowork@cgiar.org
ILRI
11
Chris Addison
20
21
addison@cta.int
CTA
12
Krishan Bheenick
20
21
bheenick@cta.int
CTA
13
Cecilia Ferreyra
19
22
C.FERREYRA@CGIAR.ORG
CIP
14
Alan Orth
19
22
a.orth@cgiar.org
ILRI
15
Michael Marus
19
22
m.marus@cgiar.org
Consortium
16
Michael Victor
19
21
m.victor@cgiar.org
WLE
17
Medha Devare
19
21
m.devare@cgiar.org
Consortium
18
Peter Walton
19
21
peter.walton@stackyard.net

19
Imma Subirats
20
20
Imma.Subirats@fao.org
FAO
CGSpace output types (word file)
CGSpace countries (word file)
CGSpace CRP names (word file)
CGSpace regions (word file)
CGSpace metadata (excel file)
CGSpace river basins (word file)